Teachers are able to engage more deeply with the language and culture of the languages they teach through immersion programmes.
These are unique professional development opportunities which have great and lasting effects upon teacher capability, student achievement and the success of Learning Languages in New Zealand schools.
Future Learning Solutions - Centre for Languages offers scholarship programmes to teachers of Spanish in New Zealand.
The Spanish Immersion Programme – Salamanca offers teachers of Spanish the opportunity to improve their Spanish language and cultural understanding with a 2 week immersion trip to Salamanca, Spain.
The course consists of 40 hours of Spanish Language and Culture classes and a homestay experience.
Future Learning Solutions - Centre for Languages provides this language and culture immersion programme to Spain in partnership with the University of Salamanca.
- Spanish language and cultural classes at the University of Salamanca
- Extra‐curricular activities such as workshops, cultural visits and trips to historical sites
- Opportunities for both, homestay and residence accommodation during the 2 weeks
The course includes 4 hours of classes per day
- Spanish language (2 hours)
- Choice of: contemporary Spansh history; Spanish culture; business Spanish; English-Spanish translation; analysis of literary texts; speaking and writing (1 hour)
- Choice of: contemporary Spanish literature; history of Spanish art; Spanish economy and society; oral skills (1 hour)
Extra-curricular activities include:
- Cooking workshop
- Two cultural visits to the city of Salamanca
- Visit to the historical library of the University of Salamanca
- Two day trips to two different cities
Preference will be given to registered teachers who
- have had previous engagement in the Ministry of Educaion PLD/Spanish workshops
- are involved in levels 1 to 4/Years 7‐10 of the Learning Languages area of the curriculum
- are currently teaching Spanish
Applications are now closed.