Sunday 21st - Saturday 27th November 2021.
The Puertas Abiertas Programme is delivered in collaboration with the Latin America Centre of Asia-Pacific Excellence (LatAm CAPE) and hosted in partnership with Victoria University of Wellington.
The LatAm CAPE mission is to bring New Zealand closer to Latin America through developing programmes designed to grow the capacity of New Zealanders to engage with Latin America.
In this Latin American Immersion Programme, all content will be delivered in Spanish, giving you the opportunity to speak and interact in Spanish for the whole week.
In this programme you will:
- recognise the value of continuing to study Spanish
- connect your passion of learning Spanish with your future career and life pathway
- increase your knowledge and understanding of Latin America (including its importance to New Zealand)
- increase your language competence and cultural knowledge
- network with other students studying Spanish
Programme content includes:
- daily language/culture classes delivered by specialists
- daily inter-cultural activities/events including guest speakers
- daily shared meals
- action plan development and sharing
Quote from a 2020 programme participant: “Heading into this programme I did not really think about what I would get out of it, I just thought it would be a great opportunity to meet people and practice my Spanish. In reality this week has far surpassed my expectations and has helped me to see how my Spanish language skills are an important part of my own identity. The opportunities this week has opened up for me in terms of the confidence I now have to connect with Latin Americans and to feel confident to travel for work are enormous.”
Applications are encouraged from students currently studying at least one 200 level university Spanish paper. Preference will be given to students who are non-native speakers of Spanish. We are looking for students that come from a variety of academic backgrounds and that are looking to continue their Spanish language studies at 300 level
PLEASE NOTE: This programme does not count towards university credits.
Kara Morrison and Stephanie Mortimore
This programme is funded by the Latin American CAPE through Future Learning Solutions (FLS).
FLS will arrange and pay for:
- Domestic flights or transport to and from Auckland.
- Accommodation, airport transfers, domestic travel, cultural activities and language lessons during the programme dates.
- Breakfasts, lunches and evening meals.
Participant will be responsible for:
- Transport to and from participant's local airport for the programme where the domestic flight has been arranged by Future Learning Solutions.
- Personal expenses and incidentals.
- Domestic transport to programme where domestic flight is not applicable but transport is still required i.e. bus or personal transport with (agreed) reimbursement post programme.
19th September 2021. Applications are now CLOSED