Introduction to Language Teaching Programme
The Introduction to Language Teaching Programme provides a practical grounding in language teaching pedagogy, one-to-one and peer support and the opportunity to network and share resources with other teachers in a similar situation.
It involves ongoing support over the school year through personalised cluster groups tailored to language levels, expertise and/or location.
- Ongoing support over four school terms
- Personalised cluster groups tailored to your language level and expertise and/or locations
- Opportunity for structured language learning
- Classroom visits for individual support
- Practical language teaching examples
- Networking and resource sharing opportunities
- A guided teaching-as-inquiry project suitable for appraisal
- Three face-to-face workshops
- Immediate and lasting benefits for teachers, students and schools
- Without a background in the language
- New to language teaching
- Who are native speakers and have not taught a language before
- Offering taster courses
- Wanting to start of maintain a sustainable language programme
- Wanting to support and/or train staff to deliver a sustainable programm
The programme runs through the year, with workshops in Term 1, online and class visits in terms 2 and 3, and further workshops either online or in person in Term 3 and Term 4.
Participants are visited in their classrooms, and meet and work with peers on a teaching inquiry between workshops. Face-to-face and distance networking and resource sharing opportunities are included. At the end, participants will present their 'teaching as inquiry' projects to each other.
Teachers on the Introduction to Language Teaching Programme will make a commitment to participating in cluster meetings and workshops both face-to-face and online over the year. They will complete a short teaching-as-inquiry project as part of a portfolio, suitable for teacher appraisal. To get the most out of this programme, teachers will need an enquiring mind, a willingness to participate, and a commitment to implementing what they have learnt back into their school.
Odette Mitchley, Thornton School
shares her experience as a participant in the 2017 Introduction to Language Teaching Programme.
For more information please contact:
Teacher Development Adviser
phone: 09 623 8899 ext 48552
mobile: 027 547 1951