General Conditions for Employing a Language Assistant
Appointments are for one school year. Assistants are generally employed by a group of up to four schools, with one of those schools, named as Host School, being technically the employer.
Language Assistants are employed on the basis of an Individual Employment Agreement (IEA) for a minimum of 15 hours per week (being 12 hours class contact time plus 3 hours non-contact time to use as preparation and administration time per week).
Period of employment
From Tuesday, 9th February 2021 until Monday, 20th December, 2021 at the latest. The exact dates to be confirmed each year.
Hours of work
French and German Language Assistants will have 12 hours of contact time and 3 hours of preparation and administration time = 15 hours per week. Spanish Language Assistants will have up to 18.75 total hours (15 contact hours and 3.75 preparation and administration time (cluster dependant).
Language Assistants are not required to work during school holidays when the school is closed for instruction and are paid their regular salary during holiday periods during the period of employment.
Selection of schools
- Future Learning Solutions is recognised by applicant schools as the sole decision-making body in the allocation of Language Assistants, mandated by the MoE - as a condition of participation in the programme.
- Future Learning Solutions is bound to consider requests from schools for a particular Language Assistant, but is not obliged to grant them if the panel identifies a greater need for their services elsewhere.
- Private schools are eligible to apply for an assistant, and their application will be considered, but priority will be given to state and state-integrated schools.
- Priority will be given to schools who have not had a Language Assistant for three consecutive years unless the school has a new teacher who needs urgent support.
Future Learning Solutions covers
- Orientation and debrief costs, including domestic travel and accommodation, as well as airport transfers for Language Assistants posted outside of Auckland.
- 1/3 of the cost of employing an assistant with participating schools covering the balance. Future Learning Solutions covers approximately $7,454.78 - $10,900.75 per annum excl. GST (2021)
- Travel allowance for travel between schools.
- Mandatory Debrief Day in Auckland for Language Assistants - Scheduled for Friday, November 19, 2021.
New Zealand school covers
- 2/3 of the cost of employing a Language Assistant. The 2021 annual cost to a school per (1) school 3.75 hours / day is $3,727.39 (for one French or German LA) $4,360.30 (Spanish LA).
With Future Learning Solutions’ contribution, the total annual salary is $22,364.33 - $32,702.24 (2021) respectively.