Scholarships for Students of German
The German National Adviser, ILEP and the Goethe-Institut expect to be able to award several scholarships in 2017/18 for New Zealand Year 12 students who are studying German. A selection process will take place, including interviews by the German National Adviser in Term 2. Finalists will be invited to an immersive final selection weekend in Wellington.
Requirements for students who wish to apply:
• must have studied German for at least two full years, must be studying German in Year 12 and continue their German studies in Year 13
• must have sat NCEA Level 1
• must not be native speakers of German
• must be NZ citizens or permanent residents whose secondary education has been in NZ
• must be aged between 16 and 18 at the time of the scholarship
• must have sufficient resilience and maturity to cope with and benefit from total immersion into German language and culture
• should be able to work together in teams, be socially sensitive, and have good communication skills
Teachers, please nominate your top students. To increase your students’ chance of success, please encourage them to apply for both scholarships.
1. PAD Student Scholarship to Germany (Mid-year)
The PAD scholarship winners will spend four weeks in Germany in June/July. Students stay with a German host-family for some of the time, have the opportunity to attend school and get to know the local community. In addition they will be taken on a tour to other parts of Germany. Costs connected with the selection process are covered by ILEP and the Goethe-Institut. The German government funds travel, accommodation and some pocket money.
2. The Society for New Zealand-German Student Exchange (NZGSE)
This non-profit organisation provides scholarships enabling senior secondary school students to spend between two and three months living and studying as a member of a family in another country. New Zealand students stay with families in Germany for approximately ten weeks from the end of November to early February while the German partners stay in New Zealand from June to August the following year. Students attend school in the respective countries. Scholarship winners are provided with return tickets to Germany and insurance cover. Prior to their departure for home, all scholarship winners from New Zealand and Australia meet at a camp and travel together to Bonn and Berlin. These costs (approximately $ 600) must be paid by the scholarship winners themselves who are also responsible for an adequate supply of pocket money during their stay, expenses in conjunction with organised trips, and for the cost of all travel in Europe. Host parents are expected to accommodate and cater for their guests.
Please note: It is required that the scholarship recipients host their German exchange partner the following year.
Application Form and Information:
For more information, see the flyer here.
Use the application form to apply.
For enquiries, please contact:
Heike Papenthin, National Adviser for German at ILEP, email@example.com, 09 623 8899 ext. 48661